Investments can play a key role in your financial plan. For individuals, a mix of registered and non-registered savings, income and pension plans can help achieve short- and long-term goals. For employee groups, I can offer advice on registered and non-registered savings and pension plans.
- Tax-free savings accounts
- Registered retirement savings plans and Registered education savings plans
- Segregated fund policies
- Mutual funds
- Group retirement and savings plans
Tax-free savings accountsTOP
Investors looking to put their hard-earned savings in an account that is more flexible than an RRSP but still offers tax benefits can consider a new Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA).
In 2009, the Canadian government introduced a new way for investors to cut down on taxes while saving money. While RRSPs are primarily intended for retirement and allow for income tax benefits, TFSAs allow for quicker access to tax-free savings.
Either alone or combined with other financial products, a TFSA can help you build a strong financial portfolio.
- While contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes, all investment and growth income earned in a TFSA, including capital gains, will not be taxed—even when withdrawn
- Set aside up to $5,000 at year (unused contributions can be carried forward) and watch it grow tax-free in an easy-to-access account
- After a waiting period, re-invest all money withdrawn from the account
- Earnings in the account do not impact benefits that depend on income levels, like the Canada Child Tax Benefit
- All Canadians aged 18 and older are eligible for a TFSA
Contact me today to determine whether a Tax-Free Savings Account is a good choice for you.
RRSPs and RESPsTOP
A registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) has several advantages. For investors under 72, it can provide tax-deferred compounding investment income and help accumulate savings to achieve long-term retirement goals. It also allows for a variety of choice of specific investment options—from GICs to mutual funds. For families with children, a registered education savings plan (RESP) can help finance post-secondary education.
Some of the advantages of RRSPs and RESPs include:
- Tax-deductible RRSP contributions
- Tax deferral of compounding income and growth
- Based on a family’s net income and the amount contributed, a government RESP grant is available
- When money is withdrawn from an RESP for post secondary education, the student typically pays little tax, due to the low income tax rate of the recipient
Working together, we can examine RRSP and RESP investment options in order to build a customized portfolio that takes into consideration your financial goals, tolerance to risk and timeline. Contact me today to find out more.
Segregated fund policiesTOP
Segregated fund policies, which are available through life insurance companies, share similarities to mutual funds. However, they are unique because they can guarantee all or part of the principle amount invested, as per the given contract.
In a segregated fund policy, professional fund managers invest in a variety of individual securities. Depending on the performance of the segregated funds you select, your investment’s unit values will increase or decrease.
As a form of life insurance, it’s important to note that segregated fund policies have distinct advantages for some investors. These can include:
- Potential for creditor protection
- Savings on potential probate fees
- No trustee fees
As a financial services professional, I have access to a wide variety of segregated funds. Contact me today to discuss how they might strengthen your investment portfolio, and to receive an information package about segregated funds.
Note that any amount allocated to a segregated fund may increase or decrease in value, and is invested at the risk of the policyholder.
Segregated funds are a life insurance product and as such are not distributed by DFS Investments.
Mutual funds can be a key component of a diversified investment portfolio. Managed by professional investment managers, mutual funds allow individual investors with common objectives and risk profiles to pool their savings in a portfolio of investments. This allows for an investment portfolio that is diversified among different companies and industries in Canada and around the world. Advantages of this strategy include:
- Potential for increased returns
- Expertise of professional investment managers
- Increased purchasing power for the fund managers from pooled savings
Contact me to access products that are offered by leading mutual fund dealers. As as an investment fund advisor, I will work with you to build a portfolio tailored to your financial needs and goals.
Learn more about how mutual funds can build your financial plan—contact me today.
Always remember the importance of careful decision-making when choosing investments. Before investing, carefully read through a mutual funds’ prospectus for important information about mutual funds. Remember that commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses may all be associated with mutual fund investments. Mutual funds are not guaranteed, and since their values change frequently, past performance may not be repeated. Investment returns and unit values will fluctuate.
Mutual Funds are distributed through DFS Investments
Group retirement and savings plansTOP
For business owners, group retirement and savings plans can play a key role in attracting and retaining quality employees.
Just like you, your dedicated employees are working towards a safe, secure future. Either provided independently or paired with group benefits, a group savings plan is a convenient, flexible and affordable way to help your employees reach their long-term financial goals.
Employees gain instant tax savings for their Group RRSP contributions, since they are made using pre-tax payroll deductions. They also receive the peace of mind that comes from knowing every month they are building towards retirement.
I can help you and your valued employees choose group retirement and savings products. We will design an investment plan tailored to fit the needs of each person involved. Choose from products like:
- Registered retirement savings plans designed specifically for groups
- Deferred profit sharing plans
- Defined contribution pension plans
- Non-registered savings programs
Contact me today to learn about how group retirement and savings plans can benefit your business.